Friday the 13th Website
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Skinimarink

Go down

Skinimarink Empty Skinimarink

Post by ThePunisher January 19th 2023, 11:45 am

This movie came out recently. The plot involves a boy and girl waking up in the middle of the night to find their mother and father have vanished, and the house doesn't have any doors or windows.

I found this movie strange and hard to watch. Without going into spoilers, there were odd camera angles. such as the camera showing the corner of the ceiling and nothing else.

Has anyone seen this movie? What's your opinion?
ThePunisher
First Class
First Class

Back to top Go down

Skinimarink Empty Re: Skinimarink

Post by Jason Voorhees January 20th 2023, 2:28 am

ThePunisher wrote:This movie came out recently. The plot involves a boy and girl waking up in the middle of the night to find their mother and father have vanished, and the house doesn't have any doors or windows.  

I found this movie strange and hard to watch.  Without going into spoilers, there were odd camera angles. such as the camera showing the corner of the ceiling and nothing else.  

Has anyone seen this movie?  What's your opinion?

Hmmm Ima go watch that! thank you for letting me know!
Jason Voorhees
Jason Voorhees
Founder
Founder

https://www.friday-the-13th.net

Back to top Go down

Post by ThePunisher January 20th 2023, 6:36 am

Jason Voorhees wrote:
ThePunisher wrote:This movie came out recently. The plot involves a boy and girl waking up in the middle of the night to find their mother and father have vanished, and the house doesn't have any doors or windows.  

I found this movie strange and hard to watch.  Without going into spoilers, there were odd camera angles. such as the camera showing the corner of the ceiling and nothing else.  

Has anyone seen this movie?  What's your opinion?

Hmmm Ima go watch that! thank you for letting me know!

Let us know what you think!!!!
ThePunisher
First Class
First Class

Back to top Go down

Post by t8mc November 8th 2023, 2:29 pm

ThePunisher wrote:
Has anyone seen this movie? What's your opinion?

From the day I saw Alien Vs. Predator: Requiem in the cinema, that was the worst film I'd ever seen. Even when terrible films like Halloween Ends, Alien Covenant, Black Christmas (2019), Army of the Dead, Share or Die and others came out. AvP:R still was the benchmark for terrible filmmaking and I knew it could never be beaten by any other film.

But Skinamarink did something so audacious that it became the worst film I'd ever seen by not being a film at all.

In a film I don't need much but I need to be able to see what's going on. Skinamarink is like 'LOL f- your eyes, buddy' and just shows you ceilings for basically the whole film.

In a film I don't need much but I need to be able to hear what's going on. Skinamarink just growls at you like it's Zuul living in your fridge. I had to put on subtitles to get what was being said. But, get this, nothing much is really being said. None of it matters.

In a film I don't need much but I need there to be a story. Skinamarink is like 'here's a ceiling for an hour and then LOL 500 DAYS HAVE PASSED' and it literally doesn't matter because nothing has happened, nothing is going to happen and you've just watched 90 minutes of nothing.

It's like what's the worst album ever recorded? It's probably something by Simply Red right? But pick whoever your least favourite band is and imagine an album by them. Yes, horrible. But what if someone gave you an album and it was just the sound of kittens being lowered into boiling water slowly over and over for an hour. I mean that's objectively worse.

Skinamarink is worse than AvP:R because while everything in AvP:R is poor or worse, at least it's in some sense a film. Whereas Skinamarink is just 90 minutes that you'll never get back.
t8mc
t8mc
Town Resident
Town Resident

Back to top Go down

Post by I'm Not a Goalie November 10th 2023, 11:07 pm

Something to keep in mind about Skinimarink, is that it's purely an experimental film. The director was a fan of the Analog Horror projects that have been floating around Youtube over the past few years and this was his attempt at trying to capture the feel of those types of projects in the form of a feature length film. The disjointed camera views are because the film is shot from the perspective of a very young child, and the style is based off of how a young kid views the the world and their surroundings particularly late at night. Think of it in the guise of when you were four or five and you wake in the middle of the night... Too short to reach the light switch, everything is dark, nothing around you looks right, and your parents aren't where their supposed to be... You're still half asleep, scared and confused, nothing makes sense... That's the feeling this movie is trying to capture. The horror is supposed to come in the form that this completely innocent and defenseless child who appears to be trapped alone with his sister in the only world he knows, his home, which makes less and less sense to him as the movie drags on and gradually appears more and more threatning to him.

This move first came to my attention in a video for a Youtuber I enjoy named Wendigoon. His analysis and enthusiasm for the project is what made me interested in watching it... That being said, as much as I applaud the idea and attempt at something differen't, I don't think Skinimarink works as a movie. It's a film that looks like it belongs as an abstract series of Youtube videos like the projects that influenced it. The movie is too dependent on the viewer already being familiar with what the filmmaker was trying to accomplish, as there's really no way to discern what's going on for yourself by just watching the film. Maybe if you're film student you can, but most of us aren't.

If you're interested in Skinimarink, I'd recommend watching Wendigoon's video breaking down the film. It's far more entertaining than sitting through the movie itself, and it helps a bit to have some of what's going on actually explained to you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YJyO6YR_cXc
I'm Not a Goalie
I'm Not a Goalie
Second Class
Second Class

ThePunisher likes this post!

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum