Friday the 13th Website
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The State of Horror today

Go down

The State of Horror today Empty The State of Horror today

Post by ThePunisher September 13th 2023, 5:44 pm

What's your opinion on the state of horror today? Do you think the same tropes are used over and over again? Is there a lack of originality? What could be done better?
ThePunisher
First Class
First Class

Back to top Go down

The State of Horror today Empty Re: The State of Horror today

Post by I'm Not a Goalie September 15th 2023, 10:38 pm

Considering I more or less refuse to watch any movie released in the past five years without hearing strong word of mouth first, I usually pass, so I'd have to say not good. Whenever I scroll through the newer movies released to Shudder, particularly Shudder originals, I'm struck by how similar the synopsize are. I don't feel modern Hollywood Mandates have helped at all. When certain types of characters have to be portrayed a certain way at all times, it makes for very static characters, and very unoriginal and just flat out boring storylines. That's why modern movies feel so unoriginal, you're very limited in type of movie you can make anymore. Could you even make a original IP slasher movie nowadays without having to jump through hoops to make sure all your check boxes are marked, and which characters you can do what with?
I'm Not a Goalie
I'm Not a Goalie
Second Class
Second Class

OCT 31 1978 and ThePunisher also liked this post!

Back to top Go down

Post by ThePunisher September 18th 2023, 6:47 am

I'm Not a Goalie wrote:Considering I more or less refuse to watch any movie released in the past five years without hearing strong word of mouth first, I usually pass, so I'd have to say not good. Whenever I scroll through the newer movies released to Shudder, particularly Shudder originals, I'm struck by how similar the synopsize are. I don't feel modern Hollywood Mandates have helped at all. When certain types of characters have to be portrayed a certain way at all times, it makes for very static characters, and very unoriginal and just flat out boring storylines. That's why modern movies feel so unoriginal, you're very limited in type of movie you can make anymore. Could you even make a original IP slasher movie nowadays without having to jump through hoops to make sure all your check boxes are marked, and which characters you can do what with?

Good points here. It seems like every movie you watch in the slasher genre for example, you know who is going to die and in what order. There always seems to be at least one stoner, one jerk, and naturally, a group of people who go where they aren't supposed to go despite being told and seeing obvious warning signs.
ThePunisher
First Class
First Class

Back to top Go down

Post by t8mc November 8th 2023, 2:15 pm

I think we're in a good age for horror films. There are so many of them out there getting released all the time and very often you can find one that is actually pretty effective. I don't need the films to be amazingly well-produced but as long as they have a decent idea and execute it, I'm happy.

There have been some real gems in the last ten years. Hidden gems, flawed ones but still well worth watching.

I find that the ones that get the most hype tend to disappoint the most. Like The Black Phone. I thought that was gash to be honest.
t8mc
t8mc
Town Resident
Town Resident

Back to top Go down

Post by Jason Voorhees November 8th 2023, 2:27 pm

t8mc wrote:I think we're in a good age for horror films.  There are so many of them out there getting released all the time and very often you can find one that is actually pretty effective.  I don't need the films to be amazingly well-produced but as long as they have a decent idea and execute it, I'm happy.

There have been some real gems in the last ten years.  Hidden gems, flawed ones but still well worth watching.

I find that the ones that get the most hype tend to disappoint the most.  Like The Black Phone.  I thought that was gash to be honest.

Really? I liked the black phone it was something a mix of the lovely bones.
Jason Voorhees
Jason Voorhees
Founder
Founder

https://www.friday-the-13th.net

ThePunisher likes this post!

Back to top Go down

Post by t8mc November 8th 2023, 2:30 pm

Jason Voorhees wrote:
t8mc wrote:I think we're in a good age for horror films.  There are so many of them out there getting released all the time and very often you can find one that is actually pretty effective.  I don't need the films to be amazingly well-produced but as long as they have a decent idea and execute it, I'm happy.

There have been some real gems in the last ten years.  Hidden gems, flawed ones but still well worth watching.

I find that the ones that get the most hype tend to disappoint the most.  Like The Black Phone.  I thought that was gash to be honest.

yeah I didn't really get on with the supernatural aspect of it. Like it didn't fit in with what was basically a kidnapping film. It felt like two separate stories at times.
t8mc
t8mc
Town Resident
Town Resident

Back to top Go down

Post by Jason Voorhees November 8th 2023, 2:34 pm

t8mc wrote:
Jason Voorhees wrote:

yeah I didn't really get on with the supernatural aspect of it.  Like it didn't fit in with what was basically a kidnapping film.  It felt like two separate stories at times.

I heard they are making a sequel but given that what would a sequel even be with the villian dead?
Jason Voorhees
Jason Voorhees
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by ThePunisher November 9th 2023, 10:40 am

Jason Voorhees wrote:
t8mc wrote:
Jason Voorhees wrote:

yeah I didn't really get on with the supernatural aspect of it.  Like it didn't fit in with what was basically a kidnapping film.  It felt like two separate stories at times.

I heard they are making a sequel but given that what would a sequel even be with the villian dead?

I hope it doesn't turn out to be a Saw franchise with disciples of the original vilian.
ThePunisher
First Class
First Class

Back to top Go down

Post by Ivan1987 May 2nd 2024, 2:01 pm

I think this is a good time for horror. Sure, it's not the 90s or 80s, but horrors are still produced on a large scale, which means everyone can pick something of an interest. I'm personally happy about the revival of old franchises - Halloween, Child's Play and Scream, to be exact. Luckily horror is something that every generation of kids will get easily associated with, so they will still keep making them, which is to me is more important than the fact that they're worse than something that has been made decades ago.
Ivan1987
Ivan1987
Scout
Scout

Back to top Go down

Post by Jason Voorhees May 2nd 2024, 6:25 pm

Ivan1987 wrote:I think this is a good time for horror. Sure, it's not the 90s or 80s, but horrors are still produced on a large scale, which means everyone can pick something of an interest. I'm personally happy about the revival of old franchises - Halloween, Child's Play and Scream, to be exact. Luckily horror is something that every generation of kids will get easily associated with, so they will still keep making them, which is to me is more important than the fact that they're worse than something that has been made decades ago.

I just miss practical effects and legitimate horror none of the CGI and Jumpscare nonsense they are putting out.

Conjuring? Annabelle? And so many others are just cheap to me they are good stories but I thought I'll be watching something with actual substance.
Jason Voorhees
Jason Voorhees
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by ThePunisher May 3rd 2024, 4:59 am

Jason Voorhees wrote:
Ivan1987 wrote:I think this is a good time for horror. Sure, it's not the 90s or 80s, but horrors are still produced on a large scale, which means everyone can pick something of an interest. I'm personally happy about the revival of old franchises - Halloween, Child's Play and Scream, to be exact. Luckily horror is something that every generation of kids will get easily associated with, so they will still keep making them, which is to me is more important than the fact that they're worse than something that has been made decades ago.

I just miss practical effects and legitimate horror none of the CGI and Jumpscare nonsense they are putting out.

Conjuring? Annabelle? And so many others are just cheap to me they are good stories but I thought I'll be watching something with actual substance.

I find it funny how I can sit with other horror fans i these movies and marvel how the CGI just makes it look so..... unnatural???? What do YOU think?
ThePunisher
First Class
First Class

Back to top Go down

Post by SonofOdin6039 May 7th 2024, 11:57 am

I will grant there's not room for original plot lines and ideas for new horror movies, but I do believe there's room to make good movies out of a single bit from an older movies. I recently watched Last Voyage of the Demeter, which takes place on the ship Dracula traveled to London on and found it to be pretty good. Subplots and supporting stories can make for great viewing if written correctly and honors its source material. Now while I will admit there's not much you can with an F13 or Halloween subplot, there's still plenty of ideas out there that can be delved into. But some movies kinda need to let the franchise rest for a bit, case in point Amityville Horror and Living Dead. This can be a great time for new horror movies without overdoing it on tried and true franchises, at least for a bit. Give it a couple of years and then let a fresh idea insert itself. As the saying goes, the past is merely a template for the future
SonofOdin6039
Second Class
Second Class

Back to top Go down

Post by Jason Voorhees May 8th 2024, 5:14 am

SonofOdin6039 wrote:Living Dead
WHOA! There I love the Living Dead franchise! Zombies are awesome lol!
Jason Voorhees
Jason Voorhees
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by ThePunisher May 8th 2024, 4:34 pm

Jason Voorhees wrote:

How about The Walking Dead?
ThePunisher
First Class
First Class

Back to top Go down

Post by Jason Voorhees May 9th 2024, 3:55 am

ThePunisher wrote:
Jason Voorhees wrote:

I love the Walking Dead

I was watching it quite literally when it released.

The comics were prior but the TV series did everything differently and I love it.
Jason Voorhees
Jason Voorhees
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by ThePunisher May 10th 2024, 4:11 am

Jason Voorhees wrote:
ThePunisher wrote:
Jason Voorhees wrote:

I love the Walking Dead

The comics were prior but the TV series did everything differently and I love it.

Were the comics any good????
ThePunisher
First Class
First Class

Back to top Go down

Post by Jason Voorhees May 12th 2024, 12:05 am

ThePunisher wrote:
Jason Voorhees wrote:
ThePunisher wrote:
Jason Voorhees wrote:

I love the Walking Dead

Yes it was ALOT different but in my opinion the TV series was more better than the comics.
Jason Voorhees
Jason Voorhees
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by ThePunisher May 12th 2024, 7:46 am

Jason Voorhees wrote:
ThePunisher wrote:
Jason Voorhees wrote:
ThePunisher wrote:
Jason Voorhees wrote:

I love the Walking Dead

Yes it was ALOT different but in my opinion the TV series was more better than the comics.

I've never read too many comics.
ThePunisher
First Class
First Class

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum